Romero Award Participator Level Success
Over the last academic year we have been working hard as a school to increase our understanding of Catholic Social Justice and to deepen the Catholic identity of our school within our Portsmouth diocese. We have been working towards achieving the Participator Level of the Romero Award which aims to:
· Increase a school’s understanding of Gospel values of justice, love and peace
· Create opportunities for mutual learning and transformation for everyone involved with the school
· Enable opportunities to reflect on Catholic social teaching
· Increase a school’s contribution and commitment to solidarity with the poor and marginalised
We are delighted to announce that we have successfully achieved this award. Comments in the feedback to our application included:
- The school has obviously raised its awareness of CST (Catholic Social Teaching), especially through the Catholic Strategic Plan, which is excellent!
- Strategic strand. The evidence files for this section were good and gave a great insight into what is being accomplished at St Edmund’s.
- Curriculum strand. Some excellent work is being done in specific areas of the curriculum on CST, mainly RE and Geography; it will be exciting to see how this filters through to other subject areas in due course.
- Practical Strand. The Heart of Light text was interesting to read, the Mini Vinnies are doing a great job.
- Overall this is a good application and I have no hesitation in awarding the participator level to St Edmund’s.