Our Lady Week 20th-24th May
During the week 20th-24th May we dedicated extra teaching time to find out more about Our Lady. The purpose was to make sure that RE is more cross-curricular and that Our Lady means more to the children than a picture or a statue. During the week the teachers made sure that other subjects, including English and Art, were based around Our Lady. The week’s activities included:
- We celebrated a Mass in honour of Our Lady on Tuesday at 2 pm.
- Whole school procession in honour of Our Lady on Friday 24th at 2 pm.
- All classes did cross-curricular work based around Our Lady during the week so that the Procession was more meaningful to the children at the end of the week.
- Each child wrote their worries/problems on a piece of ribbon which they tied to the railings on KS1 playground as a back drop for the procession; the children’s worries were offered up during the prayers on the day.
- Children brought flowers in front of the statue of Our Lady. The oldest and youngest child in the school crowned Our Lady.
- Children led the prayers and a decade of the Rosary; all children from Nursery to Year 6 used their Rosary beads bought for us by parishioners over the last couple of years.
- Jo Milham & Hilary Webb from the parish provided the resources and helped each child in Year 3 & Year 4 to make their own peace rosary. These can now be used during each Monday’s Gospel worship when as a whole school we all say together the Medugorje Peace Rosary following Mrs Delany-White’s pilgrimage there last October.
- We have been tidying the hall and making it look more like a place of worship than a PE hall. Two display boards in the hall have been used to display work from all the classes from the Our Lady week.