Friends of St Edmund’s School Development Fund
As a voluntary-aided school, St Edmund’s receives less funding for capital expenditure from the Local Authority than county primary schools. The shortfall in funding has to be obtained from the Catholic Church, which, in the Portsmouth Diocese, is achieved through membership of a diocesan schools building fund.
The Diocesan Schools’ Building Fund (DBF) was introduced in September 2000 in order to provide the contribution needed towards building and repair projects at our Voluntary Aided Schools. 50% of the Fund is provided by parishes regardless of whether or not they have access to a Catholic school; 50% of the Fund is provided by schools from donations from the parents of the children attending the school. In this way the whole diocesan Mass-going population and all parents of children in our schools share the Bishop’s commitment to our Catholic schools.
Membership of the diocesan fund is essential if the school is to develop, or even maintain, its facilities. The Diocese calculates the school’s contribution based on our pupil numbers. As there is no provision for this levy in the school’s state funding, the school has no choice but to ask parents to contribute to the cost.
Donations year on year are in decline. In this school year we hope to encourage more families to contribute as this will help us maintain our current teaching provision and invest in some much needed enhancement of our school buildings and environment.
Past contributions have allowed us to carry out the following school improvements for which ordinarily funds would not be available:
- A new kitchen to allow us to serve our highly popular hot school meals each day from September 2014. As we had such a large take up of school meals we had to ask for even more funds from the diocese in summer 2015 to double the size of the existing kitchen.
- Redecorating of parts of the school, with a plan to continue redecorating on a rolling program from now on
- A new PA system about 4 years ago
- Resurfacing areas at the front of the school outside Key Stage 2 and around the side of the school in 2014
- Providing a safe AstroTurf surface for the Early Years outside area two years ago
- Screening of the fence around the school field a few years ago
- Installing a new electric gate at the front of the school and some of the storage sheds at the side of the playground a few years ago
- A new server and monitors for the IT suite in 2015
In the near future the fund will pay for:
- Replacing the old Early Years canopy this Easter with a new and much larger canopy to complete the refurbishment of the whole Early Years learning environment ready for the nursery expansion of provision from September 2017
- A new roof to replace the old and worn current roof across the whole school (the first phase will start to be replaced this academic year)
- Resurfacing of the car park area directly in front of gate in the next few months
We can only continue to make significant improvements like these if all families contribute to the School Development Fund.
The suggested family donation is £36 per year , less than £1 per family for every week of the school year, this can be paid by standing order with this form or on-line with your parent mail account. We also ask if you a tax payer that you complete the Gift Aid Form which enables us to claim the tax back increasing your donation with no extra cost to you.